I am up to 13 countries out of the 195 sovereign nations in the world today.
I have a way to go to check off "visit every country" off my bucket list.
But I have learned a few things in my travels and I think they are valid reasons for everyone to buy plane ticket a go some place you haven't been.
1. Traveling opens up your eyes.
It is really easy to think that the city you live in is as far as the world goes, it doesn't. Go see how big it really is, what other people live like. It'll shape the way you live back home once you have gone.
2. Traveling gives you perspective.
Similar to the first one, but going new places and meeting people from other cultures will teach you that the way you have been looking at the world isn't the same way everyone else looks at it. You have find yourself identifying a couple of blind spots because of it.
3. Traveling gives you good stories.
Let's face it; its hard not to sound interesting with "one time when I was in Switzerland" and who knows you may be the inspiration for someone else getting outside their comfort zone and trying something new. I was asked once "if your life was played as a movie would it be worth watching?" Go make yours worth watching.
4. Traveling helps you move on.
There is something about being in a new place with new people that helps heal wounds quicker. When I had a relationship suddenly end, a couple friends and I hopped in a car and drove all night to colorado just to get away. And you know what, it actually helped. So maybe try it if you are in-between jobs or relationships, you may be able to find some healing by just getting away.
If my words aren't enough to get you to try it here are some quotes:
- "I haven't been everywhere but it's on my list" - Susan Sontag
- "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
- "Bizarrentravel plans are dancing lessons from God." - Kurt Vonnegut
- "Travel makes a wise man better and a fool worse." - Thomas Fuler
- "Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien
- "Once a year go somewhere you have never been before" - Dalai Lama
- "A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step" - Lao Tzu
- "Travel wide, travel safe, travel far, but most of all travel often." - Kyle Pettit me ;)
PS- many of y'all will say but money is an issue, learn to save and you can go anywhere. a cup of coffee a day (3 dollars) is over 1000 dollars a year. You can do it. You just must make it a priority.